The Barista Skills Intermediate builds on the concepts and skills introduced in the Foundation level. It’s ideal for someone who has barista experience and wants to explore how to formally develop their skills further, perhaps in preparation for a more senior role.
Minimum of 3 months work barista experience required.
Introduction to Coffee and Barista Skills Foundation is recommended but not mandatory. Knowledge and skills from these earlier modules will be assumed as being held and may be tested through the practical and/or written assessments.
- Coffee varieties & origin’s impact on flavour
- Processing methods and their effect on flavour & body
- Solubility & density of different roast levels
- Freshness of coffee and degassing process
- Brew ratio & espresso brew formula
- Strength and extraction - getting familiar with the refractometer
- Milk - composition and foam quality
- Milk alternatives
- Latte art practice, SCA standards
- Espresso based menu - drinks range
- Grinder - cleaning and maintenance
- Water quality
- Cafe and stock management
This course lasts for fourteen hours and each cohort is up to 4 participants.
All our courses are conducted by fully authorised, licensed and accredited SCA trainers (knows as ASTs). you don't need to be a SCA member to take one of our SCA courses, but you will need to have a learner membership account with the SCA.You'll use it to access online examinations and your certificates. It's quick, easy and free to get one - see here.
We would highly recommend becoming an SCA member, particularly if you are undertaking intermediate or professional courses. The SCA charges exam, administration and certification fees for all course participants - but they do offer a discount for SCA members. These fees are included in the cost of our courses.
Please note: If you select fees based on incorrect SCA membership status, you will not be able to complete your course until the correct SCA fees have been paid.
If you would like to discuss a bespoke session for your team or group, or if you have any questions about this course, then please get in touch with us by hitting the orange icon at the bottom right of this webpage.